1. Scope. Scope of the project encompasses conception and development of different satellite based indices for mapping and monitoring of land use land cover. The consequent socioeconomic impacts of land use land cover will also be studied.
2. Overall Objectives. Major objective of the project is to map the land use land cover of ISNET Member state countries through Satellite Remote Sensing (SRS) and Geographical Information System (GIS) data and techniques.
3. Technical Description. Most of the ISNET member countries have arid climate, and are agriculture based economies. Land use land cover is changing rapidly due to influence of anthropogenic, climate change and other natural factors. Therefore, land use land cover mapping by new technologies is essential for the formation of the land resource database to monitor and manage the resources sustainably. Workflow of the proposed work shall comprise following components:
4. Expected Benefits. Following benefits could be expected from this project:-
- Acquisition of the cloud free satellite images
- Building of spectral indices related to the land use land cover (NDBI, UI, NDVI, NDWI etc).
- Classification of satellite data for land use/land cover and determining the dynamics of land use/land cover changes in specific time interval.
- Acquisition of available global open source datasets related to land use land cover and their tailoring according to national datasets as well as collection/creation of other related geospatial datasets.
- Analysis of archive materials, providing geospatial link of land management and thematic maps.
- Preparation of final reports and scientific papers.
- Land Cover base map of the ISNET countries, measure change in Land Cover over period of time
- Capacity building of the member countries in use of Remote Sensing and GIS for natural resources monitoring and use of modern data dissemination techniques.
- Develop methodological approaches to monitor efficient utilization of land
- The study and management of land use land cover will save time and financial resources in efficient use. It will be useful in preparation of measures and government programs for the better land use planning.
- It will serve collection, easily usage, protection and transmission through the network of relevant knowledge in a single database.